Car Accident Lawyer Coral Gables, FL
A Coral Gables, FL car accident lawyer from Perez Mayoral, P.A. knows that many car accident victims do not know what to do following an accident. It can be incredibly difficult to keep a level head after you were injured in a car accident. Your emotions are likely all over the place, you may be coming off of adrenaline and feeling your injuries, and you might be listening to the other driver say it wasn’t their fault. This can all be overwhelming, which is why it is important to know ahead of time what you should avoid doing immediately following a car accident. When you are ready to file a claim to receive compensation, reach out to our office. We are here to examine your case and guide you through the process.
Top Mistakes To Avoid Following A Car Accident
Below, you will find the top mistakes to avoid after you were in a car accident that our Coral Gables car accident lawyer knows are common.
- You didn’t call the police. Calling the police after an accident is important. You may be worried that calling the police is dramatic or the other driver may be trying to convince you not to call the police. However, the police officer can offer a completely unbiased perspective regarding the accident and can write details (that you may have missed) in the accident report.
- You admitted fault. It’s a natural reaction for many people. Even if you do not think you were to blame, you may automatically come out of your car saying “I’m sorry.” It is important that you stifle this urge. Even saying “I’m sorry” can give the insurance company something to hold onto when they are throwing you a lowball settlement offer.
- You lost evidence. When emotions are high and the situation is complicated, you may accidentally lose evidence. If you have your phone on you, you should snap pictures or take videos as quickly as possible. Once other people arrive on the scene, the tow truck comes, and someone begins cleaning up, vital evidence is moved and lost forever. Take pictures and videos from various angles.
- You avoided the doctor. Many people try to avoid the doctor as much as possible because they do not want to receive bad news and they do not want to pay the bill. However, you will need to see a doctor if you want your claim to have credibility. When you are fighting for compensation because you were injured, you will need to show that a doctor examined you and has provided information regarding the severity of your injuries and the treatment needed. Your lawyer will be working to have medical bills and treatment covered in the settlement.
How To Handle Insurance After a Car Accident
When it comes to the insurance claim following an accident, it can be tough to realize that the insurance agent has the upper hand. They weren’t there and they didn’t see how badly the accident affected you. Doesn’t this mean that you have the upper hand? Unfortunately, the insurance agent does not need to see the damage from the accident or how bad your injuries are to securely lock in their ability to have the upper hand in the negotiation process. The other party’s insurance agent assigned to your case works on insurance claims daily. They have special training in negotiation and they likely have huge incentives to make sure any settlement is as low as possible. Here’s what you can do when following up with insurance after a car accident.
- Avoid talking to them as much as possible. Understandably, you don’t want to be rude. In fact, you may be so concerned that if you try to get off the phone with them that this will somehow negatively impact your claim. Know that this is not the case. Insurance agents are more than happy to get inexperienced, nervous people on the phone because it gives them the best chance at getting away with a low, unfair settlement amount.
- Know the cost of your repairs. One factor in your insurance settlement will be the damage to your car. This can be tricky, especially if you aren’t a car person. It’s valuable for you to take some time to research what it would cost to fix your car. The insurance agent may attempt to argue that the mechanic is using better, newer parts and making your car more valuable than it was pre-accident. Your lawyer can speak with the mechanic in charge of working on your car to get a statement saying that this is not the case.
- Don’t mention who you have talked with. If the insurance agent is able to get you on the phone after the car accident and you somehow mention that you talked with a friend, your sister, or your dad about the accident, the insurance agent may jump on this. It is possible they will ask you for their contact information to speak with them regarding what you said. This leaves even more room for error when it comes to your claim and more chance that the insurance company will get something they could use against you.
- Avoid saying you don’t have a lawyer. Even if this is true immediately following the accident and you have not retained legal services, an insurance agent will likely try to push you around more if they know you do not have legal help. A lawyer will have more knowledge and experience when it comes to filing a claim and will certainly know how to best negotiate with an insurance agent.
Do not hesitate to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after your car accident. They can help you get through the difficult task of speaking with–and negotiating with–the other party’s insurance agent.
While it can be difficult to remember everything that you should and should not do following a car accident, having a list in mind can help to ground you and remind you of what is most important. When you are ready to file your car accident injury claim, reach out to our Coral Gables car accident lawyer from Perez Mayoral, P.A. today.
Coral Gables Car Accident Infographic
How You Can File A Car Accident Claim
A car accident can change your life in many ways, as a Coral Gables, FL car accident lawyer understands. If you have been in an accident, whether it’s a T-bone accident or drunk driving accident, you may be able to recover compensation as a victim. If you wish to file a personal injury claim after sustaining injuries from your accident, you can have a smoother experience if you decide to hire a lawyer. Legal assistance can be affordable. If you do not know how to file a claim, here are some basic steps that you can get started with.
Report The Accident
Once you get into a car accident, call 911 right away and explain that you were in an accident. Wait at the scene until an ambulance or other first responders arrive. When you report the accident, you should give details to the operator, but do not say anything about how you contributed to the accident if you did. Keep your statements simple so that you will not be accused of causing the accident. If you fail to report that you were involved in an accident, this can be used against you and cause complications that can impact your case.
If you are in good condition, collect evidence right away while you are at the scene. This includes taking many photos of the damage to your vehicle, as well as photos of any debris that was strewn on the ground. Do not forget to take photos of your injuries as well. Take photos of the interior of the car because it can present clues indicating how the accident happened. It is much better to have more pieces of evidence than not enough, so take as many photos as you are able to.
See A Doctor
After an accident, you may feel okay and don’t feel like you need to go to the doctor. It is important to receive medical attention promptly so that you can be evaluated by a medical professional shortly after you have been in an accident. They may be able to identify any underlying injuries that you have sustained. Having a record that you received treatment from a qualified doctor also greatly strengthens your case.
Prepare Your Documents
One of the most tedious aspects of preparing a claim for a personal injury scenario is the paperwork involved. You need to gather insurance records, legal forms, invoices, medical bills, and many other types of documents. It can be a lot to keep track of. If you need any kind of legal assistance with your paperwork, a skilled Coral Gables car accident lawyer can organize your documents and review them for accuracy for you.
Do not go through the claims process by yourself if you are not familiar with the law or what next steps to take. To see what kind of legal help you can get for a personal injury claim, meet with a Coral Gables car accident lawyer like one from Perez Mayoral, P.A. now.
Negotiating Car Accident Settlements FAQs
A Coral Gables, FL car accident lawyer knows that when a client has suffered injuries in a crash, it is important for them to focus on their recovery. The last thing a car accident victim needs is the stress of dealing with an insurance company that is trying to get out of paying the victim the financial compensation they deserve, even going as far as to deny the claim. This is why anyone who has been involved in an accident should seek out the advice of a car accident lawyer, like the legal team at Perez Mayoral, P.A.
What will a lawyer do to help in my case?
Your lawyer will gather the evidence needed to prove the other driver was at fault. He or she will also determine how much financial compensation you are entitled to for your losses. Once that is been established, the next step your lawyer will take is to notify the driver’s insurance company of the amount of damages you are seeking.
It is rare that the insurance company will accept that notification and settle the case right away, so both sides will enter into negotiations until they reach an agreed-upon amount.
Why would I settle my case? Why not just file a lawsuit?
The majority of car accident claims are resolved by both parties agreeing on a settlement. Not many cases actually end up litigated in the courtroom. This is mainly because trials are very expensive and can take a few years before the case is finally scheduled for trial. A settlement is often the most beneficial for both parties.
There are situations, however, that it is not in the victim’s best interest to settle and their Coral Gables car accident lawyer will file a lawsuit so a jury can decide the case.
How do I know whether or not I should agree to a settlement?
There are certain factors that you and your lawyer will want to examine before accepting a settlement amount:
- The amount the insurance company has offered
- How strong the victim’s case is
- How much over the cost of economic damages (medical bills, loss of income, etc.) the insurance company is offering for non-economic damages (pain and suffering, emotional trauma, etc.)
Do I have to accept a settlement?
The final decision to accept or reject a settlement offer is yours. Your lawyer does not make that decision for you, however, they will provide you with legal advice based on their knowledge and experience of whether they feel accepting the settlement is the better choice over litigating the case. They will explain what the risk of litigating the case may be and if the settlement amount offered is appropriate under the circumstances of your case. Remember, your lawyer is advocating for you and only focused on what is in your best interest.
How do I learn more about how your firm can help me?
If you would like to meet with a dedicated Coral Gables car accident lawyer, call Perez Mayoral, P.A. to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation.
Coral Gables Car Accident Lawyer FAQs
Car accidents can be a traumatic experience for anyone involved, and it is common for people to have questions about what to do next for a Coral Gables, FL car accident lawyer that is representing your case. Below are the five most common questions a lawyer is asked after a car accident, read through them to learn more then contact Perez Mayoral, P.A. for help.
Who is responsible for the accident?
Determining liability for a car accident is important to determine who is responsible for any damages that may have occurred. This can involve gathering evidence, such as witness statements, police reports, and photos of the scene. In some cases, liability may be clear, while in others, it may be more difficult to determine. An experienced lawyer can help determine liability and pursue compensation on your behalf; in fact, they will conduct their own thorough investigation to determine fault.
What damages can I recover?
After a car accident, you may be entitled to recover damages for any injuries or property damage you have sustained. These damages can include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. The amount of damages you can recover will depend on the severity of your injuries and other factors. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the types of damages you may be entitled to and help you pursue compensation for your losses. You can ask them for an estimate in your initial consultation.
Should I talk to the insurance company?
It is common for the insurance company of the other driver to contact you after a car accident. While it is important to cooperate with the insurance company, it is also important to be cautious about what you say. Insurance companies are focused on minimizing their financial liability, so anything you say to them could potentially be used against you. It is recommended to speak with an attorney before talking to the insurance company to ensure that your rights are protected. If the company does call you, just tell them to contact your lawyer and hang up.
Should I go to the doctor?
It is important to seek medical attention after a car accident, even if you feel fine. Some injuries, such as whiplash or concussions, may not present symptoms immediately but can become more severe over time. Seeking medical attention not only ensures that you receive the care you need, but it also provides documentation of your injuries, which can be used to support your claim for damages. Do not wait, seek help immediately following your accident. A lawyer can help you understand the importance of seeking medical attention and how it can impact your claim.
Should I hire a lawyer?
Hiring a Coral Gables car accident lawyer after a car accident can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, deal with insurance companies, and negotiate a fair settlement. They can also represent you in court if necessary. While it is possible to handle a car accident claim on your own, having a lawyer on your side can help ensure the best possible outcome.
In conclusion, if you have been involved in a car accident, it is important to seek legal guidance to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, deal with insurance companies, and negotiate a fair settlement. They can also help you understand the types of damages you may be entitled to and how seeking medical attention can impact your claim. If you have any questions about your car accident claim, do not hesitate to speak with an experienced lawyer. Reach out to a Coral Gables car accident lawyer at Perez Mayoral, P.A. for help today.