Slip And Fall Accident Lawyer Coral Gables, FL

Slip And Fall Accident Lawyer Coral Gables, FL - man on floor with woman checking on himAs a trusted Coral Gables, FL slip and fall accident lawyer understands, there will be certain documentation that is crucial to your slip and fall accident case. This does not just mean your insurance information or your contact information. This is going to be documentation that holds as your evidence and that helps to set things in motion for you when you file your slip and fall accident claim. Many people think that slip and fall accidents are fairly easy to settle because it is always going to be the property owner who is liable, right? Not necessarily. A trusted lawyer from Perez Mayoral, P.A. knows that even if it seems clear that the property owner is liable, you still need to bring solid evidence to the table. 

What kind of documents do I need for my slip and fall claim? 

When you wish to move forward with a slip and fall claim, you are responsible for showing that the property owner is liable. This means that the property owner knew there was a danger on their property and did not fix it within a reasonable amount of time. When you file your claim, you will bring forward evidence that shows the property owner breached this duty of care. Your Coral Gables slip and fall accident lawyer will need documents such as:

  • An account of what happened. When you get into a slip and fall accident, you will want to write down exactly what happened as soon as possible. Memory can be tricky and facts can become blurry. Jot down the exact time and date, where you were when the accident occurred, what you were doing, if anyone else was there, and how the accident occurred. 
  • A police record. There is not always a police record. If no police were called to the scene then this type of documentation can be omitted. However, if the accident was serious and the police were there to write a report, this would be a crucial document to get, especially if you hit your head and lost consciousness at the scene. 
  • Medical Records. Your medical records are going to be an impartial assessment of what your injuries are, what exact treatment is needed, and how the injuries might affect your life. They can also corroborate your accident story. If you don’t need emergency medical services at the scene of the accident, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible after you become injured. 
  • The accident report. When you fall on public/commercial property, you must report your accident to the owner’s manager. You will need to file a report with them and it is important that you get a copy of this report for your case as well. No need to point fingers in the report. Be factual and write down what happened. 

Slipping and Falling at a Friend’s Home 

While many people think of needing to file a slip and fall claim when they are at a public place, such as a restaurant or a store, slips and falls commonly happen at places like homes. Unfortunately, one awkward situation that may put you in an uncomfortable spot is if you are at a friend’s house and you slip and fall down their stairs or trip and fall walking in their kitchen. Both situations can be very dangerous and you may be hesitant to file a claim. Often, this decision is determined by how much you think filing a claim will hurt your relationship with this person, not by whether you truly need compensation for your injuries. One of the best things you can do to begin moving forward is to speak with a slip and fall lawyer. It is wise to sit down and go over your options. 

I don’t want to make things weird. Should I just pay for my care on my own? 

It is understandable that you are concerned about how your friend would feel. However, if your friend had a broken railing that should have been fixed or had a light out that made a certain area of their home more dangerous, it is crucial that you speak with a lawyer about filing a claim. Paying for your care and recovery out-of-pocket is not something you should do if there is another liable party. Your lawyer will need to prove:

  • The landlord/person who owns the property knew that there was a dangerous situation
  • The landlord/owner knew of the dangerous situation but did not fix it (or set out appropriate warning signs to indicate there was a danger)
  • This unsafe situation in the home caused you to have an accident and become injured

This entire situation can feel uncomfortable because you are trying to show that your friend was negligent and caused you to become injured. However, your trusted lawyer will tell you that the goal of this claim is not to go against your friend. Instead, you are filing against their insurance to cover damages associated with your injury. 

What if my friend is renting the property? 

If you were at your friend’s apartment or home and they are renting the property, then your claim might actually be with the rental property owner, not your friend. This is especially appropriate if you become injured in a common area, such as a hallway, an outdoor living area, or a foyer. If the rental property owner had knowledge of something that was their obligation to fix but did not fix it, you should speak with your lawyer about filing a claim. 

While this whole situation may feel uncomfortable, it is best to work through your lawyer so that you avoid placing a strain on your relationship with your friend. Filing a slip and fall claim is not personal. You do have the right to pursue compensation for your injuries on someone else’s property. For more information on how we can help in this situation, give our office a call.

Get Help Today

Getting injured after a slip and fall can be scary. This can result in injuries that lead to lost work and even surgery. When you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident, don’t try to fight this claim on your own. Instead, reach out to a Coral Gables slip and fall accident lawyer from Perez Mayoral, P.A.