In Miami-Dade County, as throughout Florida, hurricane damage is a serious threat to homeowners, particularly those who live close to the coast. They rely on homeowners insurance to protect them from the financial woes that arise after these destructive storms. But what happens when insurance companies deny their claims?
At Perez Mayoral, P.A., we are all too familiar with insurance companies that let down their customers when disaster strikes. As experienced homeowners insurance lawyers, we have the tools and the skill set to fight aggressively for the rights of clients whose claims are being diminished or dismissed. Adept at negotiating with insurance company attorneys, we are also fully prepared to take your case to court if it becomes necessary.
What Our Hurricane Damage Attorneys Can Do to Protect Your Rights
The amount of damage done by hurricanes varies from minimal (for the very lucky) to catastrophic. As it turns out, in a large number of cases it is not sufficient to have homeowners insurance, you must have a sharp hurricane damage attorney as well.
Our legal team is not only efficient and effective, we are compassionate as well, realizing that you come to us in extreme need at a challenging time. We will offer emotional support along with excellent legal representation and always work in your best interests by:
- Carefully reviewing every detail of your homeowner’s policy
- Conducting a thorough investigation of your home and the damage it has sustained
- Collecting photographic evidence of the harm done to your property
- Speaking to any witnesses, e.g. contractors, who will corroborate our findings
- Getting a comprehensive appraisal of possessions lost or damaged in the hurricane
- Demanding reasonable compensation from your insurance company
- Insisting that your claim be paid within a reasonable period of time
- Creating a well-crafted courtroom strategy that will help us negotiate successfully,even if we never go to trial
- Appealing your denied or diminished claim, through litigation if necessary
Our hurricane damage attorneys are sharp and determined and have a track record of winning cases for our deserving clients. You can trust us to fight tirelessly to protect your interests.
Types of Damage and Destruction Hurricanes Cause
As most Floridians know, hurricanes are classified by the speed of their winds, ranging from category 1 (with winds from 74 to 95 mph) to category 5 (with winds of 157 mph or more). The higher the category, the more intense the storm, and the more disastrous the resulting damage. Hurricane damage may include:
- Structural damage, i.e. broken windows, doors, walls, roof
- Lost or damaged porch, garage, shed, pool or other adjacent structures
- Damage to furniture, appliances, electronic devices
- Loss of clothing and other personal property
- Water damage (including mold)
- Cost of cleanup and debris or tree removal
- Cost of replacing landscaping
- Loss of use (the cost of alternative living expenses while repairs are being done)*
- Damage caused by fires or explosions resulting from damage to electrical wires
- Theft or vandalism that may occur during the period you are living elsewhere
*This cost may include meals out while you have no access to your kitchen and purchases of clothing and other essential items that have been lost in the storm.
Our job as your legal advocates is to engage in tough negotiations with insurance adjusters and their attorneys to see to it that you receive the recompense you are entitled to by law.
Our Savvy Hurricane Damage Attorneys Know the Tricks of the Trade
Insurance companies, like all enterprises, must watch their bottom line to be profitable, so they have a number of tactics they use to deny or minimize hurricane damage claims, including:
Your policy excludes the damage
An example of this would be your insurance company arguing that you live in a high-risk flood area and should have had a separate flood insurance policy.
There was pre-existing damage
Your insurance provider may claim that your property already had damage prior to the hurricane and that had it been properly repaired, the hurricane damage would not have occurred or would not have been so pervasive.
Your failure to secure your property after the storm resulted in further damage
Your homeowner’s insurance adjuster may conclude that your property, once damaged by the storm was left unprotected and that therefore your claim is inflated. An example of this would be if a hole in the roof was not covered with a tarp to prevent more water damage or animal invasion.
Once you have engaged our services, you can rest easy, knowing that our skilled hurricane damage attorneys have your back. Even if your claim has already been denied, we will assist in your appeal and take your insurance company to court if it becomes necessary.
Contact Our Knowledgeable Hurricane Damage Attorneys Today
As soon as you get in touch with Perez Mayoral, P.A., we will begin fighting to make certain your homeowner’s insurance company does not renege on its agreement to provide you with coverage. After all, what were you paying those expensive premiums for if not for help after substantial hurricane damage?
We understand the distress and sense of disorientation that follow severe damage to your home. We will focus on making sure that your family is safe while we fight to have your insurance claim paid in full and do everything in our power to restore your sense of security. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.