Wrongful Death Lawyer Coral Gables, FL

Wrongful Death Lawyer Coral Gables, FL - Wrongful Death Doctor talk and patient medical working at officeWhen you work with a Coral Gables, FL wrongful death lawyer from Perez Mayoral, P.A., you are not getting your standard, run-of-the-mill lawyer. You are getting someone who will fight aggressively on behalf of you and your family. You are working with someone who understands the deep pain and sadness you have endured because you lost a loved one too soon. We know that when it comes to wrongful death claims, it can be nearly impossible to do them on your own. Getting through the legal jargon and trying to file paperwork on time is difficult already. You deserve the opportunity to work through your grief without focusing on the legal side. Give our office a call when you’re ready to pursue your wrongful death claim.

What do you need following your loved one’s wrongful death? 

When it comes right down to it, filing a wrongful death claim is not about a criminal conviction. Wrongful death claims are civil suits and when you file one we understand that what you are seeking is justice. Justice for your loved one who was taken from you too soon. Justice because a person’s negligent or reckless actions caused your loved one pain. If someone else is to blame for your loved one’s passing due to negligence, it is time to reach out to a Coral Gables wrongful death lawyer. 

Do I have the right to file a wrongful death claim? 

There are certain rules regarding who is legally allowed to file a wrongful death claim. One of the first things your lawyer will want to know is what kind of relationship you had with the decedent. In Florida, a person may file a wrongful death claim if they were the decedent’s: 

  • Children
  • Spouse
  • Parent
  • Adoptive child
  • A blood relative who was dependent on them

How do you know what happened is considered wrongful death (and that you can legally file a claim)? 

The rule is, typically, that if the decedent was still alive and could have filed a personal injury suit against the negligent party then dependent relatives can file a wrongful death suit if the decedent died from those injuries. If your claim is successful, then eligible family members may be able to receive compensation for things like medical bills, funeral and burial costs, pain and suffering, and loss of the decedent’s income. 

What if the act that led my loved one to die was terrible? 

In certain instances where a person’s death was caused by actions that were egregious, the at-fault party may be charged with punitive damages. These damages are intended to punish the person who is responsible for the reckless act.

Valuing Your Child’s Wrongful Death Claim 

When the unimaginable has happened, you may not be sure what to do. What is the point of filing a wrongful death claim if it can’t bring your loved one back? There is nothing that can truly heal this heartbreak and we understand that. Wrongful death claims aren’t about fixing what happened or trying to bring your child back. Instead, they help cover expenses the liable party owes you and they can help bring justice to this terrible situation. No matter how many times someone could ask how much your child meant to you, putting a dollar value on their life has likely never crossed your mind. Simply that your child has always “meant the world” to you. In this tragic scenario, you should speak with a trusted wrongful death lawyer. You want to know you are working with someone who is compassionate and cares about your situation. Don’t go to a place where you are just another case file. Call our office to see how we can help you move forward during this time.

How can someone possibly figure out an accurate amount of compensation? 

It’s true that this is an especially difficult thing to value. With an adult, your lawyer may be asking for compensation due to their age, education, skills, salary, and their role as caretaker and counselor to family. With a child, this is all much more complex.  Your lawyer will be following Chapter 768 which outlines the Florida Wrongful Death Act. While it does not give you a step-by-step of what to do if a person’s child passes, it guides you through what you should keep in mind. 

Your lawyer will be looking at the compensation based on what your life expectancy is and what your child’s life expectancy was together. This means they will specifically be looking at the life expectancy of your child as long as they lived with you. 

What will my lawyer try to recover? 

Your lawyer will try to recover damages for things like: 

  • Any medical bills and hospital expenses related to your child’s passing or injuries before death
  • Funeral and burial expenses 
  • Pain and suffering your child went through before passing
  • What the child may have contributed to support the parents

Some of these damages can be especially difficult to assess. For this reason, it is crucial that you work with a lawyer who will understand how to bring forward evidence to show that you are owed compensation for these losses. Especially in cases where a parent is seeking compensation for the loss of a child, there will not be two wrongful death cases that are exactly alike. Without the help of a seasoned lawyer, things can become complicated quickly and you may lose out on the compensation you are owed. 

During this time, no one wants to feel that they are being vindictive or that they should not be filing a claim like this. However, it is important to feel as if you can move on from part of your child’s passing so that you can celebrate their life fully. When you are ready to file a wrongful death claim, schedule a consultation with our office.

What can I do now? 

When you are ready to move forward and focus on celebrating your loved one, one of the things you may need to do is bring forward a wrongful death claim. The compensation will not be able to bring your loved one back, but fighting for justice on your loved one’s behalf may be what you need to cope with this loss. For more information on how a Coral Gables wrongful death lawyer can help with your claim, reach out to Perez Mayoral, P.A. now.